The last conversation you had with your dad, he seemed out of sorts, distracted and perhaps a little touchy when you asked him what he was eating these days. It triggered the thought in your mind that perhaps you should pop in and check on him this week but with the kids soccer game this week and finals in the course you’re taking, you’re not sure when.
It might be time to consider hiring someone to help you out.
Whilst you are compiling your list of people to interview to help you out, it’s important to be prepared with a list of questions you need to ask them. To help with this, we have provided some ideas below:
Standard caregiver questions
- What are your rates? What about overtime?
- What time off do you expect to receive?
- How many hours a week are you available?
- Do you have any certifications, such as CPR or First Aid?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you have a completed background check or do you object to undergoing one?
Questions referring to your senior loved ones’ needs
- If errands and driving to appointments are required – do you have a driver’s license? Do you have a car or are you comfortable someone else’s car?
- Do you have experience with x,y,z health conditions (outline the conditions / issues your parent currently suffers from)?
- Are you comfortable managing medication?
- How do you feel about helping with pets?
Questions specific to your preferences
- We need you to let us know about any guests that you want to have over at the house at any time, beforehand. Is that an issue for you?
- We expect you to let us know if he/she is giving you gifts or bonuses. Is that an issue?
- We expect you to sign a contract with a confidentiality clause, basically clarifying that you won’t discuss his/her condition with anyone unless expressly asked to, such as at a doctor’s appointment. Is this an issue?
Finding a local senior caregiver for your loved one is an important job to get right. We can help! SOSsitter.ca is a Canadian portal designed to help you find local caregivers and home help in your area, easily and quickly